Our Moonshot Moment
Thomas Friedman, NY Times columnist says, “As bad as this pandemic is, it’s just the training wheels for the big, irreversible atmospheric pandemic: climate change.
We were not prepared for the pandemic, but we can prepare for the impacts of the climate crisis, and reduce how much we are contributing to it. This is our “moonshot moment!”
This twice-monthly box (and website below) will give you ideas on how to take action and help our Island meet the proposed goal of 100% Renewable MV by 2040.
What Can You Do?
- Let you voice be heard Vote: Our future depends on it! Use your power as a citizen to elect officials- at the federal, state and local levels-who not only acknowledge climate change, but are committed to advocating for a fossil-free future.
- Support the 100% Renewable MV Initiative when it comes up at town meeting.
- Support town initiatives and warrant articles that make your town’s buildings energy efficient and 100% electric.
Now is the time for us to address climate change.
“…the decade ahead will be one of the most crucial breakdown or breakthrough moments in the history of our species.” says Terry Tempest Williams, environmental thinker and advocate.
Right now, here is how we use energy:
- 32% of the energy we consume is for our buildings in the form of propane and oil
- 45% of the energy we consume is for transportation in the form of gas, diesel and aviation fuel
- 23% of the energy we consume is in the form of electricity.
To reach the goal of 100% Renewable by 2040, we need to convert to using electricity for our buildings and transportation. And get that electricity from renewable sources.
Two big things can you do~
Ready to buy a new or new-to-you car?
Consider purchasing or leasing an electric vehicle. Go to Drive Green to learn about cost, rebates and where to buy them.
Looking to replace or supplement your Heating Equipment? Consider a Cold Climate Air Source Heat Pump. They are more energy efficient; provide heating, cooling and dehumidification & will save you money. Island heating contractors can install them and rebates are available from Mass Save.
The Easiest Switch to Make…
Get your electricity from a renewable source. This is one of the simplest ways to help with the goal of a 100% Renewable MV by 2040. Join the Cape Light Compact’s Local Green. You may not be ready to install solar at your house but by joining, you can get electricity generated by solar panels.
Your electrical bill has two parts: Eversource is your distributor of power, and then you have a choice for power supply. Much of that electricity supply is being generated from natural gas. The process of extracting natural gas -fracking – releases large amounts of methane into the atmosphere. Methane is the most harmful, heat-trapping, greenhouse gas.
An Edey Foundation grant supports this effort.